Monday 12 March 2012

To Afghanistan (and Back)

The latest adventure has begun. I am heading into Afghanistan for a short visit during which I will work with the World Vision Afghanistan team based in Herat, western Afghanistan. During my time I will have the privilege of working with the team to (1) facilitate workshops on project writing, design and reporting, as well as conducting training in child-focused development and participation, (2) hold discussions with the leadership team about strategy and vision, (3) monitor three projects that are focused on street kids, women's empowerment and food security and livelihoods. (More about that later.)

But at the moment, I am in Dubai. I have a 23 hour lay-over so I have booked into a hotel in the City and after some sleep have ridden the Dubai Metro having a bit of a look around. I went to the Mall of Dubai, a soulless, huge shopping centre, one of those ubiquitous arcades where you could have been anywhere in the world - if you could ignore the huge aquarium in the centre, the worlds largest fountain display, the waterfall, the Gold Souk and of course, the imposing Burj Khalifa - the tallest tower in the world. All very impressive.

As I travelled above the ground in air conditioned comfort, I watched the amazing diversity fly past. Huge towers of glass and metal compete to win the prize of most unusual, and most exclusive. Whilst in the shadows of these giants is white desert sand, densely packed apartment blocks, mosques and a perpetual haze that hangs low over the city. Out of this haze and in the distance emerged another icon of the Emirate, the Burj Al Arab, the world's most luxurious hotel.

So, after a quick look around, I head back to the airport for the flight into Kabul and on to Herat.