Thursday 29 March 2012

Last Impressions (Herat)

Tonight is my last in Herat, tomorrow afternoon I head to Kabul for a few days where I will catch up with some funding partners and do some schmoozing and some public relations (or is that the same thing?) before heading back home.

It has been quite a journey. I have had the privilege of working alongside some amazing people. People whose every day lives contain stress and uncertainty - yet they seem not to allow their lives to be defined by these negatives, but rather by resilience, by hope and by determination.

I met an influential Mullah that supports our Street Children and HIV/AIDS programs: a tall, distinguished man with a startling white turban and beard, who offered to be of assistance in any way he can. Behaviour change, education and community transformation will not happen here without the support of the Mullah - and our team have worked hard to gain their trust and support.

I met the Deputy Governor of Herat - a man with an open, friendly demeanor who gave us his time to help celebrate the children who were graduating from the Street Children project. But more importantly than giving us his time, he gave time to the children. He went to all 7 classes and spent time talking with these kids who are the poorest of the poor, he made them laugh, and listened to their stories.

I sat with the leader of a refugee camp. An articulate passionate man who was fired up to get whatever he could, from whoever he could for the 30,000 people under his care. I listened to a 15 year old girl who has been trained in STIs, HIV/AIDS and is now a peer educator in the refugee camp. She doesn't have enough time to meet with all the women and girls that want to learn.

I talked with one doctor who gives her time free to consult with women and girls who have been sexually abused, and I walked with a second doctor who works with drug using men and sees his work as his prayer.

These (and more) are amazing people who give their time and talents in service of others. It has been a privilege to meet them and I honour them tonight.