Friday 20 August 2010

HONEY AS AN ANTI-CORROSIVE

As I reflect on my day it is pouring again, I almost fell off the chair as a clap of thunder that sounded a felt like a jet breaking the sound barrier shook the house and the lightning that followed lit the house like a magnesium flare. Almost instantly the temperature has dropped and there is a cool gale blowing in the windows… I realise that the camp populations will hate this, but from a purely selfish point of view, the rain and the coolness is refreshing after a long hot day.

I have spent another day driving the predictably frenzied roads. If it wasn’t for the sheer anarchy and overwhelming stimulation of oncoming tap-taps, potholes the size of Texas, motorbikes buzzing in all directions like angry wasps and of course the ubiquitous UN, travelling in Port-au-Prince called almost be termed chaotic.

I had a meeting today with a company that we have not had a great deal of cooperation from. They have been ‘representing’ us in the fight to release some containers of relief goods which have been in port since April. They have requested, and we have supplied a forest load of papers; numerous people have tried to scrape away the oose of bureaucracy; and over time the relationship has become close to caustic. So after numerous phone calls, today was my turn to venture in and try to knead a result out of, what I was told were some overly officious and self-important technocrats.

They looked up to see me walking towards them and I swear you could see the quills spring out and create a simultaneously protective and offensive barrier. Apparently I wasn’t the first NGO in to do battle today and before I could say ‘sakpasse?’ (how are you? which usually makes people smile) the files were out and the ceiling was suddenly the most fascinating specter.

It was then that my companion, who had been here before, began to return the freeze, but noticing a magazine featuring cricket on the desk I asked if the man played, and before long we were talking about Steve Waugh and Alan Border. The conversation moved on to other sports including the Soccer World Cup and before long it just happened to swing around to how important it is to try and get the sporting venues back for the Haitian people; and wouldn’t you know it, if only we could get some of the things in the ports out and to the people, we may well be able to move people from the Soccer field where our IDP camp is located!

We walked out of the office with a new promise, (I’m not naïve enough to believe its anywhere near a guarantee), but for the first time in months, aided by our new Franchise certification, we have the papers signed, sealed and on Monday, delivered.

This interaction reminded me again of the truth of that old adage: you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. When people take the time to connect, to identify common ground and to treat each other with respect, rather than stand on their status and throw their moral indignation, we, together have the potential to make things happen.