Friday 16 July 2010

Welcome Home

In my experiences of emergency and disaster relief I believe I have proved that it is people that have suffered most that are often the most gracious.

One of the men (JR) that works with the Salvo Team here in Port au Prince has suffered terribly, (and is indicative of so many). His wife was killed in the earthquake, leaving him with three young children. He volunteered to help in any way he could in the early response and has stayed on with us, and eventually was offered a role. Whilst working for us JR visited a remote area, and the truck he was travelling in rolled over the side of the road: stunned and bruised he crawled out of the wreck, picked up his cell phone and dialed his wife, only to get a message saying the service to that number had been cut – and remembered that his wife was dead.

JR is one of the most gracious and grateful people I have met so far. He works hard and refuses to accept a wage, instead asking that his wage be placed in trust for his children’s education.

When I am introduced to a Haitian person they always greet me with a huge smile and the phrase: “Welcome Home”. I love that. For me it immediately puts you off guard and makes you feel that you belong. JR’s story, of course is not unique, but despite the destruction and the human tragedy the Haitian people are gracious and welcoming.