Tuesday 13 July 2010

On the Way

I am sitting in Miami International Airport watching CNN tell me that the world is failing Haiti - that despite the huge outpouring of sympathy and money people are dying as the money fails to arrive at the places where it matters.


It is easy to fly expert commentators in and say nothing is happening; to show images of dying children and debris strewn streets and to make bold statements that suggest that Aid/NGO Agencies are failing to make any difference. I think we may need to stop and define what 'success and progress' looks like.

To import key activities and outcomes without contextualising them is a mistake too often made. And from a person that has still not arrived in Haiti that sounds like it may be the case in Haiti. So in about 4 hours I will land in Port au Prince, and God helping me I will make a difference.