Thursday 23 May 2013

Captain Crowden and Mrs Captain? I Remember Them!

I have spent this week facilitating a Project Design Workshop in the Jaffna Public Library. Together with the project staff we have been joined by members of all levels of local government and community members. It was during our first Tea break, after I had been introduced that an elderly man from the Pradeshiya Sabha (Local Government) approached me with great excitement: "Your name is Crowden", he said, "Captain Crowden and Mrs Captain, I remember them."

Apparently in 1974 Captain and Mrs Crowden had some dealings with the Remand Board, or something like that, and it was this man who now stood before me asking if I was related.

I am not sure if there are many people that have made such a lasting impact. Mum and Dad; the people who remember you in all kinds of places in this country and speak highly of your humility, your integrity, your availability and your friendship are innumerable. I have now been told how wonderful and loving you are in Colombo, Kandy, Batticaloa, Jaffna and Kaithady.

I wonder if you realise how many people are serving in Ministry, how many are Officers, how many have your picture (really old ones) on their walls and the positive impact you have had on the people of Sri Lanka. It was like walking into a living museum this evening when I visited Shalom Children's Home in Kaithady. I was met at the gate by Mrs. Rani Moses with the words, "welcome home son"; Major Thevasagayam was waiting at the Hostel and all around me it felt like nothing much had changed in the last 40 years. The property has big shady trees, and a couple of new buildings, but the chicken shed (collapsing) is still there and with great pride they took me into the kitchen to show me the 'pantry' that Captain had built.

Mum and Dad, your influence and your love have sustained many people (not just in Sri Lanka). You can be very proud of your ministry - I know I am!