Saturday 16 February 2013

To Albania and Palestine

Tonight I completed the first part of my journey that has brought me to Tirana, the capital city of Albania, where I will attend and a regional Development, Learning and Impact conference, before meeting with Youth and implementing partners who are part of our Youth Empowerment and Anti-Trafficking project.

Tirana is the first stop on this trip that will take me on to Palestine, where amongst other things, I will meet with youth in Gaza and Bethlehem who are part of the same Regional project.

As with most of my first visits into countries in this part of the world, I was not sure what to expect and, since I arrived at dusk, I am not sure what the city looks like yet. But the scenery on the way in was amazing. I flew into Tirana

It was cold, 10 C, and high, snow capped mountains guarded the airport and the city beyond. But then as I was driven into the city to my hotel, it didn't take long to remember what driving was like in this part of the world. A Mercedes taxi cut in front of us and across three 'lanes'; my driver used his horn to voice his protest before a bright yellow Lamborghini roared past and came to a fast stop as the traffic found five lanes on a three lane road, while other vehicles just stopped and parked wherever they wanted.

But that's just first impressions, perhaps in the cold light of day tomorrow I'll have something different to report.