Saturday 2 February 2013

Sri Lanka, mama enewa (මම එනේව)


I’m moving on - but not far! 

Soon, I will be taking on a new challenge for World Vision Australia as the Program Advisor for South Asia.

This means that after 22 months I will be shifting my focus eastward from Afghanistan, Pakistan and Eastern Europe to Nepal, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and the Philippines. As Program Advisor I will take a strategic overview of the region whilst mentoring, coaching and supporting program managers responsible for four of the countries - but, Sri Lanka is my special responsibility.

For those that know me, this is an exciting opportunity! Having grown up in Sri Lanka and worked there off and on over the last 15 years the opportunity to focus my attention on managing World Vision Australia’s engagement with World Vision Lanka is a great privilege. (Someone is going to pay me to visit my Sri Lankan family - oh and work too I guess!)

World Vision Lanka is "restoring the right to dream” throughout the island. Working in 20 districts and 1,120 villages, the 500 plus (fulltime) staff work to transform the lives of approximately 240,000 children and 150,000 families.

Amongst these “dreamers” is Niroma, who is now in her final year of medical training at the Anuradhapura Base Hospital. She says: “I always wanted to be a doctor when I grew up, but I knew it was difficult for my parents to support all three of us to get through school. But my parents always said that education is the only way to get out of poverty. So I wanted to study hard... [and] with World Vision coming to my village things changed.” Niroma was supported to be in school, she learnt English, she was helped with school supplies, and “my first stethoscope is a gift from World Vision.” (Statistics and story from: WV Lanka Annual Report)

So, after some exciting opportunities and learning lots from the people I have had the privilege of meeting in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Azerbaijan and Eastern Europe, (thank you to you all) I move on to learn more about my second home, and get involved in the lives of a new group of people in Nepal, Bangladesh, India and the Philippines.