Thursday 13 October 2011

Bandi Maira

Deep in the valley below Nathia Gali a village community of 490 people appears as if out of nowhere. This time its a hike into the village proper, up a rock strewn pathway cut through the rocks and trees. The village is spread out over a large area, and steadily rises "to the sky" my host tells me.

High up, "in the sky" on top of the mountain is the only water source for the village. Dr Adbul Hai, Imam and President of the village smiles at me as he tells me that together we have built a wall in the sky to protect the water source and make the village safe from the seasonal flood due to snow melt and rain fall.

Together the Imam and the Officer walk hand in hand through his village as he proudly shows me poultry sheds, goat herds, fish farming ponds, orchards, kitchen gardens, new rock pathways and carpet weaving. He looks at  me and says of the World Vision Team, "What they promised, they have done. What the say they will do, they do. There is no limit to what humanity can do if we do not care who gets the credit."

Earlier in the day I had visited another inaccessible village, Sukka Kas, where the village together with assistance of World Vision had built a rock Gabrian walled water channel. This village too is constantly flooded by monsoon rain and snow melt, but this year they are prepared because of the new channel. They are hopeful that the water will not destroy this year, but rather will be directed to a safe and useful location. The water will assist the crops they now grow, which have meant they have no need to buy vegetables for part of the year.

As I begin the tramp out of this village, (the shalwar kameez makes it easy to stretch out and climb) a young man says to me: "Americans, they don't like us. They think we are all terrorists. What do you think?" First, I was quick to point out that I was Australian, a brother in Cricket! Adam Gilchrist and Ricky Ponting are heroes, fellow Australians - a little bit of association never hurt. But after we chatted for a while I was invited to lunch!

For the last day, the Abbattobad team has been telling me that I look like a Butan Pashtun, apparently they are fair and red/brown haired, so Dr Iqbal (Development Team Manager) assured me that as long as I kept my mouth shut I could pass as a Pakistani from the Butan area. Today, to finish off the transformation they presented me with a Pashtun cap and shawl - apparently I really look the part now. Nathia Gali has been a wonderful experience.