Thursday 19 June 2008

Mission Priorities

An email this morning caused me to again question what the priority of my life and ministry is! I am, and have been a minister of religion for over 20 years and I love what I do, (most of the time).

But sometimes, (only sometimes), I think that my ministry priorities and those of my church are diametrically opposed. 20+ years ago I made a covenenant with God "to live to win souls and make their salvation the first purpose of my life". You see my priority, and my passion, is the total transformation of lives - not the perpetuation of a membership group.

For me that means running 'the amazing race' of their lives with individuals. It means coming alongside a person at the place they call 'home' and, with their invitation, becoming a partner in their race - eating, arguing, crying, laughing and playing with them. As we race together I hope that they see in me a Source of energy that is exciting, risky and empowering - and as a result I am able to introduce them to the Source of life and their Creator.

I want to introduce people to Jesus and walk them through the citizenship process of the Kingdom: if in that process they choose to become members of my church - that's fantastic, I will encourage and celebrate it - but that's not my ministry priority!

The "first purpose of my life" is inviting people to be members of God's family!