Thursday 13 March 2008

Religion That's Lost The Plot

I have long been suspicious of religion and the religious! I think I am now getting to the stage that I might even have to confess that I hate religion. I think I'm in good company in this attitude because, as I read it, Jesus felt the same way!

I don't know how many times I have heard a preacher tell me that the difference between Christianity and every other faith community is that following Christ is about relationship ("vertical to God and horizontal to God's creation") and all other faiths are religions (rule based constructs).

So, if that's true, why do so many Christians so slavishly adhere to a hybrid construction of 'man-made' rules and regulations? Why do charismatic leaders who espouse 'new' rules and more advanced behaviours - or regulations for belonging and believing - attract more and more people. (Is there some danger of cultic following here?)

I am not suggesting that there is no place for rules of living, of course there are! Rules for living in a civil society, and Biblically based principles of living form the foundations of living as good representatives of Jesus.

But, I object to being told that unless I live and operate the way you do that I am less of a Christian. Especially when many of the things you tell me are essential for being 'an effective Christian' are your personal (and contextual) additions. Additions that are essentially selfish lifestyle choices - some of which are great for personal health, well being and discipline - but not necessarily beneficial for relationship building and kingdom expansion.

Jesus said that the way the world would know we are 'effective Christians' is by our love for one another as a result of our love for God. His priority was making sure people knew they were loved, important and accepted: he was single minded in his desire to build relationship and develop capacity.

He took care of himself: he was disciplined (walked a lot!) and he adhered to many of the rules for living and faith allegiance. But he had a special name for the people that added more and more 'rules' for best practice and as a condition of belonging - expectations that made others feel inferior if they weren't living the same way - Pharisees.

I am not advocating for 'anything goes' Christianity - there are clear and sensible guidelines for living the Jesus Way. What I'm advocating is that the priority for ministry, and default for humanity, must be on relationship development.

If, as a result of adhering to your extra suggestions, I do not have time, or energy for my family, or others then haven't I lost the plot?