Thursday 4 October 2007

Ladies Market - Kowloon

Yesterday was spent meeting with project managers and Salvation Army leadership to discuss the issues and future, negotiating the best way forward and making recommendations about best practice methods and processes. A day of thinking!

Lunch was cream of crab soup followed by grilled Ostrich in pepper sauce with stir fry vegetables. But I finished the day at Lucky Restaurant for a dinner with the Hong Kong Command leaders and the project team – another Chinese meal, with copious amounts of different Chinese teas. There is Young Man’s tea and Old Man’s Tea. The Officer Commanding likes Old Man’s tea, a black musky smelling, damp fungus tasting tea – so they started me on that: I decided I'm obviously not old enough yet – I prefer Lilly tea, a lighter (in colour) but stronger, fresher smelling tea –we finished off the meal, cleansing our palettes with a beautiful clean tasting traditional Chinese tea. Sounds like I’m becoming a connoisseur of Chinese tea but don't be fooled! I’m also becoming much more proficient with the chopsticks.

The night closed out for me with a visit to Ladies Market and Broadway on Kowloon Peninsula. Apparently a famous shopping precinct of the area, by 8pm it was well and truly alive with young people and tourists. A real shopping Mecca it caters for all your needs, and at great prices. I lost count of the times I was offered Rolex watches and designer handbags. Some of them were even honest enough to be sprucing for “copy watches”. So from latest electronic gadgets and Billabong surf wear to silk pj’s and Chinese jade dragons this is the place to be apparently.

So it was back to Booth Lodge late into the night after wandering the streets absorbing the sights, smells and sounds of this amazingly chaotic, diverse almost schizophrenic, but exciting city.