Monday 30 April 2007

Now I'm Home

It's a surreal feeling! Just over a week ago I was living in a country half way around the world, getting excited about a water pump and a pit latrine and celebrating with people who were thrilled to get a bottle of Fanta and a biscuit.

I find myself torn between feelings of guilt and privilege. I have so much: food and water, more than I need - and they have so little. I have never gone without, I have a house, a motorbike, a job and my daughter even has shoes for school. Here I am, living in comparative luxury and people whose names I know and whose faces I can see, will continue to struggle for food, water and life.

So what is my role now? I have a job to do and a life to live, apart from Rwanda. But I cannot ignore nor forget! So for now, when people ask me about my journey, I tell them about the faces in my memory. I tell them about the difference one life, or some money, can make to people like the returnees of Gituro.
And I remind myself, that there are millions more, in countries all round the world that need help - I can't go to them all, but the church can and must. The International Salvation Army does some amazing work amongst many of these people.

(Many people have asked me what you can do - here's one thing: In New Zealand and Australia, in the next few weeks, Sallies (Salvos) have a chance to help this work through the Self Denial Appeal - instead of looking for creative excuses for not giving why not just bite the bullet and give more than you can afford!)