Thursday 12 April 2007

The Legend Of The Hat

Some of you have been less than complimentary about my hand made Akubra (hat) that makes an appearance in the photos at times.

A funny thing happened today in a rural village. We were attending the Sectors Genocide Memorial function about an hours drive west of Nyagatare, out in the cattle country. Whilst I was there a lady asked my driver where I kept my cattle. I thought she was joking and responded that I had many cattle and they were at home in outback Australia. That was the end of the discussion, I thought.

I then was informed by one of the Sector officials that my hat tells the story. Apparently in this northern region where I am located, (cattle country) only the cattle owners wear the type of hat I have. If all the edges are flat, (as are mine) then you have 100 cattle, if one side is folded up to the centre, you have 200, if both sides are up you have 300, if the hat is worn toward the back of the head and flat, (as apparently I was wearing mine) you have more than 300.

So I have apparently been perceived by some as a rich cattle herder. Just goes to prove that sometimes seemingly innocent actions, attires or behaviours can tell a whole story about us that we are not aware of. I wonder what else people have assumed about me in this remote section of Rwanda?

So for those of you who have insulted the hat – I know you’re just jealous and only wish you could afford as stylish a hat as mine.