Monday 23 July 2018

You are Welcome to South Sudan


It happened without warning, you’re always told it will. Horns were blaring, sirens wailing and people shouting. Chaos erupted around us seemingly out of nowhere. My security training told me - you shouldn’t be here - but what do you do when you are already in the middle of it.

But as quickly as the muscle memory of my security training was kicking in, I knew, or maybe just felt, that there was nothing to fear here. Apart from the fact that people and vehicles were coming from all directions - nothing unusual in Juba - flags were waving, and vuvuzelas blasting. This was not a belated World Cup celebration, this was a celebration protest.

The colours of Ethiopia and Eritrea, flags not often seen together in recent years, were leading the smiling, singing people. This was a celebration of the recent peace deal between Eritrea and Ethiopia (of which there is a large population in Juba).

For the first time in years the closed borders are open. 20 years ago families were torn apart by the conflict between the two states - today, my colleagues tell me they are planning trips into Eritrea to visit family they have never met.

So, as I sit on the banks of the White Nile discussing South Sudanese politics, its terrible impacts on millions of people and World Vision’s part in response, I hear myself praying that maybe this could be a sign of hope for the people of South Sudan - can we dare to pray that peace and hope could spread across the continent?