Thursday 10 January 2013

25 Years and Counting

I was reminded yesterday (9 January) that 25 years ago I was ordained and commissioned as a Salvation Army Officer.

A lot has happened in those 25 years. As an officer and with my family I lived and worked in 3 countries. I was a Pastor in 6 Churches; led Youth and Children’s, Education, Public Relations and Overseas Development ministries; lectured at Salvo Training Colleges; headed up Emergency Response and development work in 12 countries. I learnt to fly airplanes and obtained 3 degrees. And, I think at last count, Sandy and I have lived in 14 houses!

25 years full of variety, challenge and change. Over these years I have been changed and along the way I have learnt who the Creator made me to be and through the opportunities given me by the Salvos, [and some hard work :) ], today I am equipped to fulfil that design.

Whilst the past 25 years are characterised by change there are some things that do not change. This morning as I spent time in quietness I was pointed to these words of Jesus: “God’s Spirit is on me; he’s chosen me to preach the Message of good news to the poor, sent me to announce pardon to prisoners and recovery of sight to the blind, to set the burdened and battered free, to announce, "This is God’s year to act!"” (Luke 4:14-22)

Over 25 years ago I took these words as my life script and the Author’s example as my motivation. Even if my life and ministry vehicle have changed, some things will never change.

[My congratulations to all the Messengers of Peace who yesterday marked 25 years of service and ministry - especially to my wife Sandra who continues to transform lives through unconditional love and acceptance – even when it hurts.]