Monday 27 August 2012

Dare to Disagree

"A fantastic model of collaboration: thinking partners who aren't echo chambers.”
(Margaret Heffernan)

Like most people I don't like conflict, but I acknowledge that it is often as a result of conflict or disagreement that I have learnt the most. And it is often from people who have been willing to disagree with me, as leader, that the community has benefited the most.

I suspect that there are a lot of leaders (I know some) that prefer, and in fact demand, that their team be 'echo chambers' or 'yes men'. But Margaret Heffernan presents a very clear call for disagreement and shows how intentionally cultivating this dynamic in a team is a benefit to any organisation.

It's about 13 minutes, but its worth watching: Margaret Heffernan: Dare to Disagree.

We need leaders like this!