Saturday 16 June 2012

I Think I am 9

8:00am this morning, as I headed out to Rawalpindi, the sun was already beating down from a clear blue sky, the temperature was just topping 33C on its way to a top of 41C for the day.

Some of the children I was going to meet at Drop-In Centre (DIC) 2, had already been at work for three hours when I set out. By the time we arrived at the Centre at 9:00am they had finished work for the morning, washed up and arrived at the DIC. The kids will spend 2 hours in the DIC and then some will go back to work.

The DIC is a two storey building in the back narrow, grey concrete streets of Rawalpindi just around the corner from the main produce market, (where many of the children work with their parents). The walls are decorated with the children's artwork: a 2 times table made out of scrap paper cups, the Urdu alphabet outlined by beans - "we are a 'green' school" says one of the teachers, "we use scrap from the streets and market for the children to learn".

Despite the heat outside it is not too bad with the fans going inside. The children are remarkably clean for street working kids, their skin clear. The DIC health officer and teachers hammer home the importance of washing their hands and faces - it seems to be having an effect. But despite the message of treating water for drinking most children tell us that it doesn't happen at home - 'because mum and dad can't afford the wood or gas to boil water'.

I had the chance to spend some time with four remarkable children: three boys: two 11 year olds and one disarmingly cute and front toothless who told me he was "somewhere between 5 and 7", and his sister who told me, "I am smaller than him, but older; I think I am 9". (Over 50% of children in Pakistan are stunted, source FAO.)

Some of the things we found out, the questions that were asked, and answers given include:
  1. The two 11 year olds help their family by picking rags. They start work early, while its cool, finish to come to the DIC, and will go back later in the evening.
  2. Mother-melter and Toothless helps his dad in the vegie market by bagging produce.
  3. Mother-melter with huge eyes sells Mum/Home made snacks from a small table on the street near home, (her little sister joins her)
  4. What do you like about the DIC? "The teachers and staff are nice, friendly - and we love learning."
  5. These children are all from large families: between 7-9 siblings. They wish that they're brothers and sisters could learn to read and write too.
  6. If you could do anything you wanted to when you are older, what would you do? I'll be a Doctor. I want to be a teacher. I want to drive a car. I want to be a Policeman.
  7. If you could have anything you wanted today, what would you ask for? "For my Mum and Dad to have work, so that I don't have to pick rags and I can go to school." "For my Dad's stall to be closer to home, because the Market is too hot".
The hope of this DIC is that over the next 3 years about 600 children will pass through the centre where they will receive a basic education before being accepted into mainstream, full time schooling. Their parents will receive some training to improve their income and learn about child rights. The community will work together to protect their children and decrease the need for their children to work.

These children grow up quickly, there is not a lot of time or energy for fun and games - but every now and then harsh reality can be pushed aside and kids are kids. Here in the DIC they laugh, they sing, they dance, they draw - and they poke faces at strange people.