Saturday 24 September 2011

Welcome to Florida

It was tight, very tight, but last night, after travelling for almost 24 hours, I arrived in Fort Walton Beach, Fl, before being whisked away to Panama City, Fl. My plane navigated the circuit for landing as two airforce jets screamed past below us and scrambled onto the landing strip before disapearing into a crowd of similar fighters. Sedately and almost comically, my small plane landed smoothly and taxied to the opposite side of the airfield. Welcome to the U.S.!

Earlier in the day I had to run from terminal 2, to terminal 4 to make a connection to Dallas. Thanks to some pretty rough air over the Pacific we were late in, and then as seems to be standard for me, my luggage was one of the very last onto the carousel. I was still waiting for luggage 5 minutes before I was supposed to be boarding my connection. I still don't know how it happened, but running, resigned to the fact that there was no way, I made it through the full body xray scans, and with boots still under my arm squeezed through the doors as they tried to lock them.

So, I reckon I should get a recognition of prior learnng credit for this training. Watch out Amazing Race, here I come.

I am here to do some Security and Safety Training with World Vision, a requirement for working in the countries for which I am responsible, but particularly Afghanistan and Pakistan. So over the next 5 days I will be 'learning' what to do in the event of... you dream it up and they probably have too.