Saturday 26 March 2011

Small World

Almost 31 years ago I, with the rest the Class of 1980, left Hebron High School in Ooty, Nilgiris Hills, South India (yes I am that old). These many years later and half a world away, I looked down at the people that formed the new team of Relief Workers for Christchurch and there, in amongst the many faces I didn't know, was the face of a man I remembered. Graeme and Rosemary Wallis, who live in Wellington, were amongst the teaching staff those many years ago in India - and I remember them quite well.

As the week progressed, and as we reminisced about those golden days of schooling, another man too, older and wiser than I, introduced himself to me - Dr. Bramwell Cook (Jnr), he was a Breeks Boy - he too had lived at Lushington Hall, through those gates next to the Botanical Gardens, in the beautiful Hill Country of Southern India.

I was remembering that my first dorm mother was Miss Reid had punished me with her bamboo cane (2 cuts across the bare legs) for not going to the school clinic to get my cough  medicine. We were recalling 'emergency relief' that we provided during floods that impacted Ooty and other towns. I am glad to say I don't remember being punished by Mr Wallis - but I do remember the "Hebron Hot Shots"!

It is amazing that this far away, this many years later and in this most unlikely of scenarios the tendrils of Hebron, (Lushington and Breeks - all associated schools) continue creep into my present.

Thanks Graeme and Rosemary for the week you gave us (and for the opportunity to reconnect). There have been so many non-Sallies come and join our teams in the last 5 weeks - you have all been awesome and we appreciate your support.