Tuesday 13 October 2009

Christianity: Advert or Action

I found my anger, annoyance and frustration levels rising to boiling point this morning (my companions may have noticed). And it had little, if anything, to do with typhoons, flooding, landslides or relief and recovery programmes.

Sitting across from me where 4 people from a church in America, the back of their T-shirts told me that. But on the front of their shirts was a large colourful circular logo. In an outer ring there were a number of religious/spiritual logos: the crescent moon of Islam, the Star of David, the Yin-yan of Tao, Ganesh of the Hindus, about 12 symbols in all. And in the middle of these a large cross, with the words "EVERY Knee WILL Bow" emblazoned across it.

MY opinion: Rather than advertise my faith superiority on a t-shirt and carry my big black, gold leafed, red letter bible under my arm, I'd rather "show them by my love". I seem to recall a famous teacher saying something about this kind of flashy, judgemental Christianity.

Give me a person that is determined to express love through their actions, a person that seeks out ways to smile and share hope, a person that allows their actions to be the advertisement of their Motivator. Now that kind of person I'll work with!

But hey, that's just my opinion.