Tuesday 2 December 2008

Respected Leaders

Respect demanded is Dictatorship!

At a recent leaders event I was reminded that respect (and loyalty) must be earned. It's only my opinion, (as are all the comments on this blog) but I think that leaders that demand respect, 'because I'm the boss', are frightened people. Their fear finds its genesis in the knowledge, and their observation, that they do not have the substance of character, experience and relationship to influence without exerting and abusing the power of their position, or appointment.

I operate in an autocratic community, and I accept that there is a certain amount of military-style leadership, but that does not give me, or my leaders, the right to demand unconditional respect and uninformed loyalty .

Show me a track record that reveals you care, show me your life, show me you understand (even if you don't agree), and show me that my individuality matters - and I'll listen to you, I'll respect you and I may even follow you.