Thursday 13 November 2008

Sacred Space

I have never found it easy to 'be still'; to imagine that my (self-appointed) agenda and priorities are not so important that I can't put them aside for a few minutes and stop. I've read the biographies of numerous 'world changing' heroes, most of them apparently managed to make time to shut out the world for a while each day and still change the world.

I know it's important to put everything and even everyone aside for a few minutes and refocus on the Source of my existence and on the occassions when I manage it I always feel better, ready to be a world changer. But the 'excitement' of opening new emails, informing facebook status, massaging budgets, completing HQ administration expectations and preparing the next powerpoint are so powerfully magnetic - surely they are the most important and whorthwhile uses of my time today!

When I do manage to drag myself away from the 'tyranny of the urgent' one of my favourite places to go is Sacred Space. It's an Irish Jesuit based cyberspace sight that guides my reflection, and informs my spirit. It provides a guided mediation for each day and if you're really keen it offers techniques for meditation, reflection and contemplation. Check it out, I find it helpful - most of the time.