Tuesday 14 October 2008

Religion & Reflection

It can take time and distance to reflect and sort through lessons learnt!

As I heard the stories of betrayal by friends, family and church and I saw the evidence of the complicity of the Christian church (and other faiths), I was once again reminded of the saturating seduction of power. The things people will do, or not do, to protect reputation: the betrayals rationalised so as not to get involved and words carefully chosen and spoken to sanitise and desensitise.

The accounts of the church's involvement in the 100 day Rwnada massacre reveals that at best the church turned a blind eye, ignoring the murder; at worst it became a partner in the mechanics of genocide, all so that the church would be protected.

I wonder sometimes if we are so busy protecting our religion, and our God, that we fail to protect humanity (and not just in Rwanda).

I believe I know and have a personal relationship with the living God. But at the moment when protecting my faith, or my religion, becomes more important to me than accepting, loving, protecting and honouring humanity - of whatever race or religion - that is the moment that I lose the right to claim faith.