Monday 8 September 2008

Rwanda Revisted

On Friday I take off to return to Rwanda for a few days.

It's been 17 months since I was working in the community of Gituro (remember the images opposite?) and I have heard that much has changed. My understanding is that following the completion of the building of latrines and the completion of the water pump and platform that there are now 70 houses and a community centre completed.

Whilst in Rwanda, (ostensibly to attend a workshop of International Emergency Services Team Leaders in Kigali) I will be returning to Gituro where I will have the opportunity to revisit the people and the programmes.

The question for me centres around the sustainability and relevance of the projects that The Salvation Army has implemented. Have they resulted in transformed and improved living for the people, and have they been delivered in a manner that has been sustainable by the people within their context and without the necessity of outside aid?

I'll let you know.