Tuesday 1 April 2008

Just Action

Dunedin is the magnet that will draw 275 delegates to The Salvation Army's annual 'Just Action' Conference. Together the delegates will explore the possibilities for 'Freedom from Injustice'. But as I prepare myself to lead a workshop on global injustice, I am forced to ask a few questions like:

What is development? If our globe is unable to sustain the existing levels of requirement - that is where the minority have everything they need, and most of what they want and the majority fight to survive - what happens if the powerless and marginalised - the poor - do develop to the economically privileged level of material requirement. Does that just hasten an ecological Armageddon? If so, should we, the church, the Army, be committed to development?

Other questions come to the surface too: what benefit is globalisation - and to whom? what is community?

It's just one of the questions I'd like to ask at my workshop.