Wednesday 27 February 2008

It's the Small Things

It's not unusual for me to be sitting in my office, surrounded by all the things that apparently need attention (not just the reports and returns for HQ) but instead of ploughing through them finding myself staring out the window wondering - does all this really matter? It's not a frequent event, but at times I ask myself whether what I spend my days doing, what I use most of my energy on really matters.

In my mind I know it does. But sometimes that's not enough. (Am I alone in this?)

It was after another one of those days, when I felt like I had been hitting my head against a brick wall; I was tired and just a little frustrated when the man sought me out. He was new to our group, but he told me that he was interested in what I had said, he hadn't heard it put like that before, and could I show him how to find the passages to which I had referred so that he could "check out if what I said was true"?

Encourgaement can come in many forms and from unexpected sources but is almost always a powerful motivator, but the most precious encouragement is that which comes from people who have nothing to gain by being nice!