Tuesday 18 September 2007

Wesley on Why

Have you ever questioned why you do some of the stuff you do? Ever wondered if ministry is worth the cost?

A question I am asked regularly is why I, (or the Army) is engaged in Emergency Services, or development, and given that we are - how do we introduce faith issues and Jesus? Essentially I guess what they're asking is where does evangelism come into community services?

I read a great quote from the father of Methodism and the influencer of the Booths the other day that I thought made great sense:

whether they will finally be lost or saved, you are expressly commanded to feed the hungry and clothe the naked... It is your part to do as you are commanded; the event is in the hand of God. You are not accountable for this: leave it to him who orders all things well. (The Works of John Wesley, 2002:38)

I'm not sugessting that I never speak of Jesus or faith, (there's always a time and place for that) but caring and meeting needs is ministry in and of itself!