Monday 5 February 2007

Bula Vanaka

It was hot and humid when I arrived in Nadi last Monday afternoon and I didn't have time to hang around as I made my connection to a 15 seat, twin-prop for the short (25 minute) hop across the Island to Suva. My immediate reaction was, "I know this place".

Other than the people greeting me with the words "Bula" and "Bula Vanaka" it felt just like Sri Lanka. Hot, humid and tropical. The vegetation and the mountainous interior were a little different, but other wise the long white sand, coconut tree lined beaches looked the same.

I had the privilege of spending the next two days visiting Salvation Army Corps (churches) and Centres in the Suva area, before driving back to Nadi and visiting centres in that region on the Thursday. The Salvation Army is doing some great things and making some amazing differences in people's lives in this country.

Despite the presence of military personnel and regular checkpoints there was never any issue or concern for security during my visit.

I was able to visit the Laimovuna Farm (Rehabilitation Scheme) and meet some of the young offenders that have been entrusted to our care. Here at the Farm they learn some farming skills and are also part of a self-awareness and capacity building program to try and equip them for a better life. The farm sells pigs, taro and cassava and is doing well.

I also had the opportunity of meeting some of the girls at the Mahaffey Drive Girls Home, a home owned by the government but administered by The Army. Here 13-17 year old girls who are victims of abuse are taught skills that will equip them for life at the same time as continuing their schooling. The girls know they are loved and accepted here.

As well as these wonderful programs the Corps and their Officers are doing some great work, for some in trying circumstances.

Part of the project work SANZ is involved in here is rebuilding Corps Hall and Officers Quarters, Renovating the Cadets accommodation block at the School for Officer Training in Suva and providing some equipment for Tiny Tots and Music programs.

I had an amazing journey and was made to feel very welcome in this country. It will be good to be part of the projects here.